In the 2nd of our maker interviews for our November 15th fair (at Brighton Open Market) we welcome another Fairy Tale Fair newbie – this time Bird and Button. Find out more about their beautiful handmade lampshades.
Please introduce yourself and your brand….
– My name is Jacquie Myers and I am the maker behind Bird and Button
How would you describe your style and your creations?
– I make drum lampshades using bold, graphic fabrics. I love that you can really change the whole feel of a room with one lampshade.
What do you enjoy most about your work?
– I’ve always envied people who can sew as there are so many wonderful fabrics out there now, but I’ve never been a natural on a sewing machine, but the whole process of making a drum shade means I can avoid scary sewing machines!
What can we expect to find on your stall at The Fairy Tale Fair Brighton this November? And are you looking forward to taking part?
– I’ll have shades for table lamps and ceiling pendants, as well as tabletop tealight lanterns (battery operated, so safe around curious kids!) There’ll be some new seasonal designs too.
Do you have any plans or ambitions for the future?
– I’d love to make shades full time, but these things take a while – but I’ll get there! I’d like to learn how to make the more traditional soft shades (sewing – eek!), and develop some more elaborate styles, so I can really put my mark on them. Maybe I’ll design my own fabrics too.
Do you have a motto or inspirational quote?
– Too many to remember. Joan Rivers said some amazing and inspirational stuff. One of my faves is “I was smart enough to go through any door that opened.” I want to be brave enough to go through those doors, even when the other side looks frightening.